Nitrate Contamination of Bottled Water: Description of a Project-based Learning Experience
Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 2020, 16(3), e2218, https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/8337
The objective of this work is to describe a project-based learning experience carried out with students of an assistant training course. Students had to design a project to establish nitrate contamination of bottled water, analyse the reasons why people consume bottled water and their perception about its quality. For this purpose, a survey and a sampling plan was planned and executed. The survey was answered by 364 people. A total of 200 samples were obtained from 20-liter containers. Results were discussed and presented in a scientific reunion. Strategies to employ the data obtained and the methodology used in undergraduate courses were proposed.
González, A. J., Fortunato, M. S., Korol, S. E., & Gallego, A. (2020). Nitrate Contamination of Bottled Water: Description of a Project-based Learning Experience. Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 16(3), e2218. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/8337
González, A. J., Fortunato, M. S., Korol, S. E., and Gallego, A. (2020). Nitrate Contamination of Bottled Water: Description of a Project-based Learning Experience. Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 16(3), e2218. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/8337
González AJ, Fortunato MS, Korol SE, Gallego A. Nitrate Contamination of Bottled Water: Description of a Project-based Learning Experience. INTERDISCIP J ENV SCI ED. 2020;16(3):e2218. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/8337
González AJ, Fortunato MS, Korol SE, Gallego A. Nitrate Contamination of Bottled Water: Description of a Project-based Learning Experience. INTERDISCIP J ENV SCI ED. 2020;16(3), e2218. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/8337
González, Ana Julieta, María Susana Fortunato, Sonia Edith Korol, and Alfredo Gallego. "Nitrate Contamination of Bottled Water: Description of a Project-based Learning Experience". Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education 2020 16 no. 3 (2020): e2218. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/8337
González, Ana Julieta et al. "Nitrate Contamination of Bottled Water: Description of a Project-based Learning Experience". Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, vol. 16, no. 3, 2020, e2218. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/8337
- APHA-American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation (2012). Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 22nd Ed., Washington, DC: APHA.
- Amnesty, E., & Páez, D. (2018). Using project-based learning with Venezuelan teachers to enhance teacher attitudes about school-based drug abuse prevention: A control-group comparison study. Psychology in the Schools, 55, 969-981. https://doi.org/10.1002/pits.22159
- Barak, M., & Dori, Y. J. (2004). Enhancing undergraduate students’ chemistry understanding through project‐based learning in an IT. Science Education, 89(1). 117-139. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20027
- Blumenfeld, P. C., Fishman, B. J., Krajcik, J. S., Marx, R.W., & Soloway, E. (2000). Creating useable innovations in systemic reform: Scaling up technology-embedded project-based science in urban schools. Educational Psychologist, 35(3), 149 – 164.
- Bowlick F. J., Bednarz, S. W., & Goldberg, D. W. (2016). Student learning in an introductory GIS course: Using a project-based approach. Transactions in GIS, 20(2), 182-202. https://doi.org/ 10.1111/tgis.12146
- Carmi, N., Arnon, S., & Orion, N. (2015). Transforming environmental knowledge into behavior: the mediating role of environmental emotions. The Journal of Environmental Education, 46(3), 183–201. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2015.1028517
- Chan, L. H., & Chen, C. H. (2010). Conflict from teamwork in project based collaborative learning. Performance Improvement, 49(2) 23-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/pfi.20123
- Chen, C. H. (2011). Transforming online professional development: The design and implementation of the project-based learning management system (PBLMs) for in-service teachers. British Journal of Educational Technology, 42(1), E5–E8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2010.01143.x
- Cidu, R. Frau, F., & Tore, P. (2011). Drinking water quality: Comparing inorganic components in bottled water and Italian tap water. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 24(2), 184-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2010.08.005
- Delorme, D. E., Hagen, S. C., & Stout, I. J. (2003). Consumers’ perspectives on water issues: Directions for educational campaigns. The Journal of Environmental Education, 34(2), 28-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958960309603497
- Gallego, A., Fortunato, M. S., González, A. J., Rossi, S., & Korol S. (2016). Nuevas tecnologías y viejos problemas: TIC para mejorar la comprensión en sanidad del agua. [New technologies and old problems: ICT to improve understanding on water sanitation] Revista Iberoamericana de Tecnología en Educación y Educación en Tecnología. 18, 51-59. Retrieved from http://teyet-revista.info.unlp.edu.ar/TEyET/article/view/380
- Gleick P. H., & Cooley H. S. (2009). Energy implications of bottled water. Environmental Research Letters, 4 014009. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/4/1/014009
- Golombek, D. A. (2008). Aprender y enseñar ciencias: del laboratorio al aula y viceversa [Learn and teach science: from the laboratory to the classroom and vice versa]. Documento básico. Fundación Santillana, Buenos Aires. Retrieved from https://www.oei.es/historico/salactsi/4FOROdoc-basico2.pdf.
- González, A. J., Fortunato, M. S., Bendersky, G., Donaire, A., Gorino, N., Melian, C., Paz, F., Reynoso, M., Tellechea, M. F., Vallejos, F., Korol, S., & Gallego, A. (2018). Evaluación de la calidad de aguas envasadas: Un proyecto colaborativo [Assessment of bottled waters quality: A collaborative Project]. Actas de las II Jornadas Internacionales y IV Nacionales de Ambiente. UNICEN; Tandil; Argentina. Retrieved from https://www.jornadasambiente.com.ar/documentos.
- Howard, J. (2002). Technology-enhanced project-based learning in teacher education: Addressing the goals of transfer. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 10(3), 343–364.
- Howard, J. (2007). Curriculum development. Retrieved from https://www.pdx.edu/sites/www.pdx.edu.cae/files/media_assets/Howard.pdf
- Institute of Medicine (US) (2003). Chapter 3 The Future of Public Health Education. In Gebbie, K., Rosenstock, L., & Hernandez, L. M. (Eds.) Who Will Keep the Public Healthy? Educating Public Health Professionals for the 21st Century. Committee on Educating Public Health Professionals for the 21st Century; Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US).
- Izquierdo, J., Benitez, J., Berenguer, A., & Lago Alonso, C. (2016). I decide, therefore I am (relevant!): A project-based learning experience in linear algebra. Computer Applications in Engineering Education, 24, 481-492. https://doi.org/10.1002/cae.21725
- Kolb, A. Y., & Kolb, D. A. (2009). Experiential learning theory: A dynamic, holistic approach to management learning, education, and development. In Armstrong, S. J. & Fukami, C.V. (Eds.) The SAGE handbook of management learning, education and development, (pp 42-62). London: Sage.
- Laur, D. (2013) Authentic learning experiences: A real-world approach to project-based learning. Ney York. Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- PAHO [Pan American Health Organization] (2011). Water and sanitation: Evidence for public policies focused on human rights and public health results. Washington, D.C.: PAHO
- Saylor, A., Stalker Prokopy, L., & Amberg, S. (2011). What’s wrong with the tap? Examining perceptions of tap water and bottled water at Purdue University. Environmental Management, 48, 588–601. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00267-011-9692-6
- Stapleton, S. R. (2015). Environmental identity development through social interactions, action, and recognition. The Journal of Environmental Education, 46(2), 94–113. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2014.1000813
- Tan J. C. L., & Chapman, A. (2016). Project-based learning for academically-able students. Hwa Chong Institution in Singapore. Sense Publishers, Taipei.
- Thomas, J. W., Mergendoller, J. R., & Michaelson, A. (1999). Project-based learning: A handbook for middle and high school teachers. Novato, CA: The Buck Institute for Education
- Thomas, J. W. (2000). A review of research on project-based learning executive summary. San Rafael, CA: The Autodesk Foundation. Retrieved from https://documents.sd61.bc.ca/ANED/educationalResources/StudentSuccess/A_Review_of_Research_on_Project_Based_Learning.pdf
- WHO [Wold Heath Organization] (2013). Millennium Development Goal 7: ensure environmental sustainability. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/topics/millennium_development_goals/mdg7/en/
- Zamberlan da Silva M. E., Getirana Santana, R., Guilhermetti, M., Camargo Filho, I., Harue Endo, E., Ueda-Nakamura, T., Vataru Nakamura, T., & Dias Filho, B.P. (2008). Comparison of the bacteriological quality of tap water and bottled mineral water. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 211, 504–509. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheh.2007.09.004
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.