Environmental education is a key factor in helping individuals become eco-friendly, particularly in terms of how to deal with the waste they produce. Therefore, the main aim of the study is to examine the effectiveness of the environmental excellence program (EEP) in improving fourth-grade students’ knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors towards waste management.
The EEP adopted a one-group quasi-experimental design using pre-post application. The study was performed with a sample of 187 students (83 males and 104 females) selected from three schools from one Educational Governorate in the Sultanate of Oman. The knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of the students towards the waste management scale (SKABWMS) were used for data collection.
Study findings revealed that there are significant differences between pre and post applications of the SKABWMS in students’ knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors in favor of post-application. In addition, the results showed that female students developed better behaviors than male students after taking part in the EEP. In light of these results, suggestions and recommendations were made in this study to improve the EEP implementation in schools, in its latest version.
The Impact of the Environmental Excellence Program on the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of 4th Grade Students Towards Waste Management
Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 2022, 18(4), e2302, https://doi.org/10.21601/ijese/12416
Publication date: Aug 29, 2022
Ambusaidi, A. K., & Al Fulaiti, M. R. (2022). The Impact of the Environmental Excellence Program on the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of 4th Grade Students Towards Waste Management. Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 18(4), e2302. https://doi.org/10.21601/ijese/12416
Ambusaidi, A. K., and Al Fulaiti, M. R. (2022). The Impact of the Environmental Excellence Program on the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of 4th Grade Students Towards Waste Management. Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 18(4), e2302. https://doi.org/10.21601/ijese/12416
Ambusaidi AK, Al Fulaiti MR. The Impact of the Environmental Excellence Program on the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of 4th Grade Students Towards Waste Management. INTERDISCIP J ENV SCI ED. 2022;18(4):e2302. https://doi.org/10.21601/ijese/12416
Ambusaidi AK, Al Fulaiti MR. The Impact of the Environmental Excellence Program on the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of 4th Grade Students Towards Waste Management. INTERDISCIP J ENV SCI ED. 2022;18(4), e2302. https://doi.org/10.21601/ijese/12416
Ambusaidi, Abdullah K., and Marwa R. Al Fulaiti. "The Impact of the Environmental Excellence Program on the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of 4th Grade Students Towards Waste Management". Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education 2022 18 no. 4 (2022): e2302. https://doi.org/10.21601/ijese/12416
Ambusaidi, Abdullah K. et al. "The Impact of the Environmental Excellence Program on the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors of 4th Grade Students Towards Waste Management". Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, vol. 18, no. 4, 2022, e2302. https://doi.org/10.21601/ijese/12416
- Ajiboye, J. O., & Silo, N. (2008). Enhancing Botswana children’s environmental knowledge, attitudes and practices through the school civic clubs. International Journal of Environmental & Science Education, 3(3), 105-114.
- Al-Hadrami, A (2011). Twelfth grade students’ understanding of genetic concepts and its relationship to the level of logical reasoning and alternative perceptions of these concepts [Unpublished MA thesis]. Sultan Qaboos University.
- Al-Hashemi, J. (2003). The environmental knowledge among college of education students at Sultan Qaboos University and its relationship to their attitudes towards the environment [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Sultan Qaboos University.
- Al-Saadi, M. (2012). Knowledge, attitudes and behaviour of science teachers in the Sultanate of Oman towards sustainable development issues [Unpublished MA thesis]. Sultan Qaboos University.
- Al-Shaqsi, H., & Ambusaidi, A. (2018). The most common patterns of classroom dialogue used by science teachers in Omani cycle two schools. International Journal of Instruction, 11(1), 255-268. https://doi.org/10.12973/iji.2018.11118a
- Al-Tobi, A. (1995). Environmental Information and its sources for academic high school students in the Sultanate of Oman [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Yarmouk University.
- Ambusaidi, A (2013). The twelfth-grade students’ estimation to the science teachers’ possession of the characteristics of an effective teacher and its relationship to some variables in the Sultanate of Oman. Mu’tah University Journal for Research and Studies/Humanities and Social Sciences Series, 28(2), 313-342.
- Ambusaidi, A. (2006). The role of education and training in sustainable development: The social, economic and environmental dimensions. TVET Studies Series, 6, 53-77.
- Ambusaidi, A. (2017). Green schools guide: Towards a sustainable school environment. Muscat, Ministry of Education/UNESCO Office in Doha.
- Ambusaidi, A. (2018). Towards a comprehensive school sustainability: Models from the Arab Gulf States. Doha, UNESCO Office.
- Ambusaidi, A., & Al-Mahrouqi, A. (2017). The effect of using a multi-perspective approach in teaching environmental issues and sustainability on academic achievement and the perceptions of tenth grade students towards sustainable development. The Educational Journal, 32(125), 223-257.
- Ambusaidi, A., Al-Yahyai, R., Taylor, S., & Taylor, N. (2018). Introducing school gardens to the Omani context: A preliminary study with grade 7 classes. EURASIA Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technological Education, 14(3), 1043-1055 https://doi.org/10.12973/ejmste/80859 https://mail.squ.edu.om/owa/redir.aspx?C=nrxLByjhnWnWfyKf_WwH8xx7Mslv7ilm-zxDTzqSnbeoMeK-00PVCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fdx.doi.org%2f10.12973%2fejmste%2f80859
- Ambusaidi, A., Al-Yahyai, R., Taylor, S., & Taylor, N. (2019). School gardening in Oman: A pilot project with grade 2 students. International Science Education Journal, 30(1), 45-55. https://doi.org/10.33828/sei.v30.i1.6
- Ark, T., Liebtag, E., & McClennen, N. (2020). The power of place: Authentic learning through place-based education. Alexandria, ASCD.
- Be’ah. (2019). Annual report. be’ah.
- Edsand, H., & Broich, T. (2020). The impact of environmental education on environmental and renewable energy technology awareness: Empirical evidence from Colombia. International Journal of Sceince and Mathematics Education, 18, 611- 634. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-019-09988-x
- Erhabora, N., & Don, J. (2016). Impact of environmental education on the knowledge and attitude of students towards the environment. International Journal of Enverionmnetal and Sceince Education, 11(12), 5367-5375.
- Gough, A., & Gough, N. (2017). Environmental education. SAGE.
- Hong, J., Kang, H., & Hong, T. (2020). Oversampling-based prediction of environmental complaints related to construction projects with imbalanced empirical-data learning. Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2020.110402
- Mahasneh, R. A., Romanowski, M., & Dajani, R. B. (2017). Reading social stories in the community: A promising intervention for promoting children’s environmental knowledge and behavior in Jordan. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2017.1319789
- Murphy, C., Ambusaidi, A., & Beggs, J. (2006). Middle East meets West: Comparing children’s attitudes to school science. International Journal of Science Education, 28(4), 405-422. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690500339696
- Naiseh, R. A. (2015). Impact based on the educational development of the theater in environmental awareness “quasi-experimental study among kindergarten children educational program (4-5 years): In the Province of Damascus.” Dar AlMandumah, 607-627. https://doi.org/10.53543/jeps.vol9iss3pp607-627
- O’Donoghue, G., Perchoux, C., Mensah, K., Lakerveld, J., Van Der Ploeg, H., Bernaards, C., & Nazare, J. A. (2016). A systematic review of correlates of sedentary behaviour in adults aged 18–65 years: A socio-ecological approach. BMC Public Health, 16(1), 2-25. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-2841-3
- Oliveira, L. (2019). SUMA report. SUMA.
- Petito, L. (2018). Eco-Aanimation: A cutting edge cartoon to raise awareness on climate change and sustainable use of natural resources among European chlidren. ec.europe.eu. https://ec.europa.eu/environment/life/project/Projects/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.dspPage&n_proj_id=3313
- Roser, M., Ritchie, H., & Ortiz-Ospina, E. (2013). World population growth. OurWorldInData.org. https://ourworldindata.org/world-population-growth
- Royeen, C. (1985). Adaptation of Likert scaling for use with children. Occupational Therapy Journal of Research, 5(1),59-69. https://doi.org/10.1177/153944928500500104
- Shiner, R., & Caspi, A. (2003). Personality differences in childhood and adolescence: Measurement, development, and consequences. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 44(1), 2-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/1469-7610.0010
- Simsekli, Y. (2010). The original activities for environmental education and their effects on students (A case study in Bursa). Elementary Education Online.
- Stanišić, J., & Maksić, S. (2014). Environmental education in Serbian primary schools: Challenges and changes in curriculum, pedagogy, and teacher training. The Journal of Environmental Education, 45, 118-131. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2013.829019
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.