The TELA: A New Tool for Assessing Educator Environmental Literacy
Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 2019, 15(1), e02201, https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/6286
This paper describes the measurement and outcomes of a novel teacher environmental literacy assessment. The Teacher Environmental Literacy Assessment (TELA) uses a contextual view of environmental literacy, and includes measures of Knowledge, Self-efficacy, Environmental Identity, Behavior, Issue Identification, and Strategy Selection. A sample of formal and nonformal educators and experts were selected to take and be interviewed about TELA responses. We found demographic differences, particularly between nonformal and formal educators. In addition, experts chose different types of strategies to address environmental issues than educators. The TELA can identify gaps in educator environmental literacy, which is vital content knowledge for educators.
Hunter, R. H., & Jordan, R. C. (2019). The TELA: A New Tool for Assessing Educator Environmental Literacy. Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 15(1), e02201. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/6286
Hunter, R. H., and Jordan, R. C. (2019). The TELA: A New Tool for Assessing Educator Environmental Literacy. Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 15(1), e02201. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/6286
Hunter RH, Jordan RC. The TELA: A New Tool for Assessing Educator Environmental Literacy. INTERDISCIP J ENV SCI ED. 2019;15(1):e02201. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/6286
Hunter RH, Jordan RC. The TELA: A New Tool for Assessing Educator Environmental Literacy. INTERDISCIP J ENV SCI ED. 2019;15(1), e02201. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/6286
Hunter, Roberta H., and Rebecca C. Jordan. "The TELA: A New Tool for Assessing Educator Environmental Literacy". Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education 2019 15 no. 1 (2019): e02201. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/6286
Hunter, Roberta H. et al. "The TELA: A New Tool for Assessing Educator Environmental Literacy". Interdisciplinary Journal of Environmental and Science Education, vol. 15, no. 1, 2019, e02201. https://doi.org/10.29333/ijese/6286
- Amirshokoohi, A. (2010). Elementary pre-service teachers’ environmental literacy and views toward Science, Technology, and Society (STS) issues. Science Educator, 19(1), 56-63.
- Ball, D. L., Thames, M. H., Phelps, G., Loewenberg Ball, D., Thames, M. H., & Phelps, G. (2008). Content knowledge for teaching: What makes it special? Journal of Teacher Education, 59(5), 389-407. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487108324554
- Berkes, F., Folke, C., & Colding, J. (Eds.). (2000). Linking social and ecological systems: management practices and social mechanisms for building resilience. Cambridge University Press.
- Cheng, I. N. Y., & So, W. W. M. (2015). Teachers’ environmental literacy and teaching - stories of three Hong Kong primary school teachers. International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, 24(1), 58-79. https://doi.org/10.1080/10382046.2014.967111
- Chua, F. (2016). How do experts and novices think about climate change? Thinking routines as learning and assessment tools. Harvard Univeristy.
- Coyle, K. (2005). Environmental Literacy in America. Washington, D.C.
- Cutter-Mackenzie, A., & Smith, R. (2001). Gauging primary school teachers’ environmental literacy. Australian Association for Research Education International Education Research Conference, 2(2), 45-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03026290
- Dada, D. O., Eames, C., & Calder, N. (2017). Impact of environmental education on beginning preservice teachers’ environmental literacy. Australian Journal of Environmental Education, 33(3), 201-222. https://doi.org/10.1017/aee.2017.27
- Erdogan, M., & Ok, A. (2011). An assessment of Turkish young pupils’ environmental literacy: A nationwide survey. International Journal of Science Education, 33(17), 2375-2406. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2010.550653
- Genc, M., & Akilli, M. (2016). Modeling the relationships between subdimensions of environmental literacy. Applied Environmental Education and Communication, 15(1), 58-74. https://doi.org/10.1080/1533015X.2016.1141724
- Goldman, D., Yavetz, B., & Pe’er, S. (2014). Student teachers’ attainment of environmental literacy in relation to their disciplinary major during undergraduate studies. International Journal of Environmental & Science Education, 9(4), 369-383.
- Gupta, R., Fraser, J., Shane-Simpson, C., Danoff-Burg, S., & Ardalan, N. (2018). Estimating scale, diversity, and professional training of environmental educators in the U.S. Environmental Education Research, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2018.1435778
- Hart, P. S. (2011). One or many? The influence of episodic and thematic climate change frames on policy preferences and individual behavior change. Science Communication, 33(1), 28-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/1075547010366400
- Hill, H. C., Rowan, B., & Ball, D. L. (2005). Effects of teachers’ mathematical knowledge for teaching on student achievement. American Educational Research Journal, 42(2), 371-406. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312042002371
- Hodgkinson, S. P., & Innes, J. M. (2001). The Attitudinal influence of career orientation in 1st-year university students: Environmental attitudes as a function of degree choice. The Journal of Environmental Education, 32(3), 37-40. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958960109599144
- Hollweg, K. S., Taylor, J. R., Bybee, R. W., Marcinkowski, T. J., McBeth, W. C., & Zoido, P. (2011). Developing a framework for assessing environmental literacy. Washington, DC.
- Hsu, S. (2004). Thee ffects of an environmental education program on responsible environmental behavior and associated environmental literacy variables in Taiwanese college students. The Journal of Environmental Education, 35(2), 37-49. https://doi.org/10.3200/JOEE.35.2.37-48
- Hsu, S.-J., & Roth, R. E. (1998). An assessment of environmental literacy and analysis of predictors of responsible environmental behaviour held be secondary teachers in the Hualien area of Taiwan. Environmental Education Research, 4(3), 229-259. https://doi.org/10.1080/1350462980040301
- Hungerford, H. R., & Tomera, A. N. (1977). Science in the Elementary School: A Worktext. Stipes.
- Iserbyt, P., Ward, P., & Li, W. (2017). Effects of improved content knowledge on pedagogical content knowledge and student performance in physical education. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 22(1), 71-88. https://doi.org/10.1080/17408989.2015.1095868
- Kaplowitz, M. D., & Levine, R. (2005). How environmental knowledge measures up at a Big Ten university. Environmental Education Research, 11(2), 143-160. https://doi.org/10.1080/1350462042000338324
- Kempton, W., & Holland, D. C. (2003). Identity and sustained environmental practice. In S. D. Clayton, & S. Opotow (Eds.) Identity and the natural environment: The psychological significance of nature, pp. 317-341. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Lave, J., & Wenger, E. (1991). Situated learning: Legitimate peripheral participation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511815355
- Liu, S. Y., Yeh, S. C., Liang, S. W., Fang, W. T., & Tsai, H. M. (2015). A national investigation of teachers environmental literacy as a reference for promoting environmental education in Taiwan. Journal of Environmental Education, 46(2), 114-132. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2014.999742
- Lloyd-strovas, J., Moseley, C., & Arsuffi, T. (2018). Environmental literacy of undergraduate college students: Development of the environmental literacy instrument (ELI). School Science and Mathematics, 118, 84-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/ssm.12266
- Marcinkowski, T. (1991). The relationship between environmental literacy and responsible environmental behavior in environmental education. Methods and techniques for evaluating environmental education. Paris: UNESCO.
- Marcinkowski, T., Shin, D., Noh, K. Negev, M., Sagy, G., Garb, Y., McBeth, B., … Erdogan, M. (2012). National assessments of environmental literacy: A review, comparison, and analysis. In R. B. Stevenson, M. Brody, J. Dillon, & A.E.J. Wals (Eds.). International handbook of research on environmental education. New York: Routledge.
- McBeth, B., Hungerford, H., Marcinkowski, T., Volk, T., & Meyers, R. (2011). National Environmental Literacy Assessment, Phase Two: Measuring the Effectiveness of North American Environmental Education Programs with Respect to the Parameters of Environmental Literacy.
- McBeth, W., Hungerford, H. R., Marcinkowski, T., Volk, T. L., & Meyers, R. (2008). National Environmental Literacy Assessment Project: Year 1, National Baseline Study of Middle Grades Students Final Research Report.
- Murphy, T. P., & Olson, A. M. (2008). The Third Minnesota Report Card on Environmental Literacy: A survey of adult environmental knowledge, attitudes and behavior. St. Paul, MN.
- Negev, M., Sagy, G., Garb, Y., Salzberg, A., & Tal, A. (2008). Evaluating the environmental literacy of Israeli elementary and high school students. The Journal of Environmental Education, 39(2), 3-20. https://doi.org/10.3200/JOEE.39.2.3-20
- Olson, M. E. (1981). Consumers’ attitudes toward energy conservation. Journal of Social Issues, 37, 108-131. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1981.tb02628.x
- Orr, D. W. (1992). Ecological literacy: Education and the transition to a postmodern world. Albany: SUNY Press.
- Ozsoy, S., Ertepinar, H., & Saglam, N. (2012). Can eco-schools improve elementary school students’ environmental literacy levels ? Asia-Pacific Forum on Science Learning and Teaching, 13(2), 1-26.
- Roth, C. E. (1968). On the road to conservation. Massachusetts Audubon, (pp. 38-41).
- Roth, C. E. (1992). Environmental literacy: Its roots, evolution and directions in the 1990s. Columbus, OH.
- Saltan, F., & Divarci, O. F. (2017). Using blogs to improve elementary school students’ environmental literacy in science class. European Journal of Educational Research, 6(3), 347-355. https://doi.org/10.12973/eu-jer.6.3.347
- Schultz, P. W. (2002). Inclusion with nature: The psychology of human-nature relations. In W. P. S. Peter Schmuck (Ed.), Psychology of Sustainable Development (pp. 61–78). Boston, MA: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-0995-0_4
- Shin, D., Chu, H., Lee, E., Ko, H., Lee, M., Kang, K., Min, B., & Park, J. (2005). An assessment of Korean students’ environmental literacy. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 26(4), 358-364.
- Stables, A. (1998). Environmental Literacy: functional, cultural, critical. The case of the SCAA guidelines. Environmental Education Research, 4(2), 155-164. https://doi.org/10.1080/1350462980040203
- Stables, A., & Bishop, K. (2001). Weak and strong conceptions of environmental literacy: Implications for environmental education. Environmental Education Research, 7(1), 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504620125643
- Stapp, W. B. The concept of environmental education. Environmental Education, 1(1), 30-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/00139254.1969.10801479
- Stein, D. (1998) Situated learning in adult education. ERIC Digest, (195).
- Stern, P. C. (2000). Toward a coherent theory of environmentally significant behavior. Journal of Social Issues, 56(3), 407-424. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-4537.00175
- Stevenson, K. T., Peterson, M. N., Bondell, H. D., Mertig, A. G., & Moore, S. E. (2013). Environmental, institutional, and demographic predictors of environmental literacy among middle school children. PLoS ONE, 8(3). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0059519
- Swanepoel, C. H., Loubser, C. P., & Chacko, C. P. C. (2002). Measuring the environmental literacy of teachers. South African Journal of Education, 22(4), 282-285.
- Taylor, D. (2018). Diversity in Environmental Organizations: Reporting and Transparency (Vol. 1). Ann Arbor, MI.
- Tikka, P. M., Kuitunen, M. T., & Tynys, S. M. (2000). Effects of educational background on students’ attitudes, activity levels, and knowledge concerning the environment. The Journal of Environmental Education, 31(3), 12-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958960009598640
- UNESCO. (1977) The Tbilisi Declaration. An Intergovernmental Conference on Environmental Education (pp. 14-26).
- Volk, T. L., Hungerford, H. R., & Tomera, A. N. (1984). A national survey of curriculum needs as perceived by professional environmental educators. The Journal of Environmental Education, 16(1), 10-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.1984.9942696
- Wenger, E. (1999). Communities of practice: Learning, meaning, and identity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511803932
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.